My kiddos LOVE these muffins. Breakfast is the hardest meal for them as far as making healthy choices, but I can feel good giving these to them with Organic whole milk and fruit for a balanced and quick breakfast.
During the school year, I will also often pack them in their lunches as a dessert treat. They whip up pretty quick and also freeze well if you want to make a double batch and have some on hand in the freezer. A trick I do with the frozen muffins is put them in the lunches straight from the freezer. They are thawed by lunch time. 🙂
The two big ingredients in this recipe that add the most health benefits are Hemp Hearts and Chia Seeds. If you aren’t familiar with them here’s some quick info….
Hemp Hearts are raw shelled hemp seeds. One serving is 3 tablespoons, and in each serving you get-
- 10g protein
- 3g fiber
- 10g omega- 3 & 6
- Calcium 2%
- Thiamin 25%
- Vitamin B6 8%
- Phosphorus 45%
- Iron 20%
- Riboflavin 6%
- Folate 8%
- Magnesium 45%
- Manganese 110%
Chia Seeds are considered a “Super Food” because of its high levels of fiber and calcium. Here are the stats in a 3 Tablespoon serving-
- 5g Protein
- 11g Fiber!
- 6g Omega 3
- 20% Calcium
- 15% Iron
Before we get to the recipe I feel the urge to blab about some of my favorite kitchen tools that I use ALL the time. especially for these muffins.
MUST HAVE TOOLS:
- SILICONE MUFFIN CUPS – These suckers are amazing. Reusable and easy to wash! You will get your money’s worth out of these I promise.
- KITCHEN-AID MIXER – I was lucky enough to get mine for a wedding gift, but if you don’t have one and you plan on or already do a lot of cooking and baking, you will not regret investing in a good quality mixer!
- FLEX EDGE BEATER ATTACHMENT – This nifty tool is a beater for your mixer with one side that acts like a spatula. It scrapes the side of the bowl while it’s mixing. FOR REALS!!
On with the show!
Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Muffins– Makes 24 muffins
(printable version at the end of the post)
- 3/4 Cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 Cup Chia seeds
- 3/4 Cup hemp hearts
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 Cups white whole wheat flour (I like King Arthur or Trader Joes brand)
- 1 tsp Almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup whole milk (Go organic if you can)
- 4-5 Medium ripe bananas or 3-4 Large- mashed
- 2 Eggs (Straight from a farm, or your own chickens if you can)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut oil
- 1/4 Cup stick real butter- softened (I use Kerrygold)
- 3/4 Cup coconut sugar (or pure organic cane sugar)
- Preheat your oven to 350° and line muffin tins for 24 muffins. I love my reusable silicone muffin cups.
- In a large bowl (I use my beloved Kitchen Aid mixer, and I could seriously spend hours on how much I love her. She’s my best baking companion, but a hand mixer will work fine too) mix sugar, butter, and coconut oil until well blended.
- With your mixer on low, add eggs, bananas, milk, vanilla and almond extracts. Occasionally scrape the sides of your bowl. mix until well blended.
- Slowly add flour, baking soda, and salt just until moistened.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Evenly fill all 24 muffin cups.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Ovens will vary. Muffins are done when toothpick comes out clean and tops are lightly brown.
I really hope you like this recipe as much as we do. Remember, I love love your feedback so please leave me a question or comment!