Do you want to know what I love about this egg bake recipe, besides being delicious? It is so simple and basic that pretty much anyone can do it. It’s also a recipe that can have little to practically zero prep time! (Under 5 minutes! WHAT?!) I have a quick and easy hack to make this and many other meals (especially soups) a cinch to throw together. It’s also pretty easy to keep everything you need to make this recipe on hand for those weeks when the meal planning just didn’t happen. (I have a REALLY awesome post about meal planning you MUST see. Check it out HERE.)
Here’s how I do it. This egg bake calls for very basic ingredients. Many of which can be prepped when convenient and frozen ahead of time.
- HAM – The next time you cook a ham, dice the leftovers and freeze. (Remember to go nitrate free and locally raised if possible)
- ONION – I often chop up onions and keep them in my fridge to use for omelets and salads etc. If they aren’t being used I throw them in the freezer. Same if I have any onions that are looking like they need to be used soon. I chop them up and freeze them.
- SPINACH – Not sure if you’ll use that fresh spinach before it goes bad? Chop it up and freeze it.
- HASHBROWN POTATOES – These I usually buy frozen from the store. Try to find some that only have one ingredient (Potatoes!) You’d be surprised how much junk they hide in some of those frozen potato products. Whole Foods has good options.
- BUTTER – We are butter people, we never run out. Kerrygold is my preferred brand because it comes from grass-fed cows. I do buy large quantities and freeze it, but for this, you only need to grease the baking dish with it, so I just take it from our butter dish.
- PEPPER – We use peppercorns in a grinder.
- CHEESE – (Optional for dairy free) We buy our cheese in blocks. We slice it or shred it as needed. A block of cheese, if wrapped well, will keep in the fridge for weeks! This is also something we never are without.
- EGGS – We also keep at LEAST 2 dozen eggs in the fridge at a time, eggs stay good LONG passed the “best by” date. We also typically get our eggs from local sources so they are fresher than fresh! Look at these beauties!
If you have most of your ingredients prepped and frozen, this meal can be ready to go in the oven in under 5 minutes! SERIOUSLY! I have measurements for the ingredients in this egg bake’s printable recipe below, but you really can eyeball it. Measuring takes time and can create more dirty dishes. If you’ve never made a recipe like this before, I would measure the first few times, but once you get the hang of it, ditch the measuring. It’s a huge time saver!
- PREHEAT OVEN – 350°
- GREASE PAN – Use butter to Grease a 2-quart baking dish
- LAYER INGREDIENTS – In this order: Hashbrowns, spinach, onions, ham, pepper.
- BEAT EGGS – This is probably the only time-consuming step, cracking and hand beating 12-15 eggs.
- ADD EGGS – Pour eggs evenly over layered ingredients.
- BAKE – For 45-55 minutes or until center is firm. Baking will vary depending on how many of your ingredients are frozen.
- ADD CHEESE – Shred cheese, then when your egg bake is done, remove it from the oven and immediately top with the cheese. It will melt within minutes.
I will sometimes make a few of these randomly throughout the week for protein packed snacks or lunches for hubby and me to bring to work. You can also make mini egg bakes by using muffin tins, just be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly. (If you want more great tips and recipes for quick and simple healthy eating, check out my free downloadable clean eating guide HERE!)
What’s your favorite kitchen hack for getting dinner on the table? I’d love to hear from you so be sure to leave me a note in the comments below!