Resource Library For Recommended Reading and Documentaries
If you don’t already know this about me I am a documentary junkie. I reference them SO much in my posts that I’ve decided to create a page dedicated to all the amazing films I’ve watched and also for books I’ve read. This page provides easy access to film trailers and info for documentaries with its viewing options, plus links to learn more or purchase books I recommend.
SUSTAINABLE – (2017) Official description “A vital investigation of the economic and environmental instability of America’s food system, from the agricultural issues we face – soil loss, water depletion, climate change, pesticide use – to the community of leaders who are determined to fix it. Sustainable is a film about the land, the people who work it, and what must be done to sustain it for future generations.”
-For me personally, this movie really inspired me to support local organic farmers as MUCH as possible, to better our health and the planet.
THAT SUGAR FILM – (2015) I really learned a lot from this film! It’s true how uninformed many of us are on the TRUE effects of sugar on our bodies. Watch Damon’s experiment and see what is REALLY happening.
FED UP -(2014) This film’s focus is primarily on sugar and it’s detrimental effect on our kids. It also has eye opening info on our school lunch programs. I re-watch this one all the time!
FOOD INC. -(2010) The movie that started it all for me. “The truth about your food.” Behind the scenes of the food industry.
Trailer Available to stream on Netflix
JUST EAT IT – (2014) A food waste story. Follow a couple during their 6-month challenge to only eat food that would otherwise be tossed. (Not as gross as it sounds!)
COOKED – (2016) Netflix original. Three part series based on the book by Michael Pollen. Watch Michael as he “Explores how cooking transforms food and shapes our world.” So many great topics which include the history of some cultures and cooking.
Trailer Available exclusively on Netflix
GMO OMG – (2013) A father with young children on a quest to learn all the facts about genetically modified organisms in our food.
FAT, SICK, & NEARLY DEAD – (2010) Watch how Joe Cross cures his autoimmune disease on a 60-day diet of only fresh juiced veggies and fruits. (Love his mean green juice!)
FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD 2 – (2014) A follow-up to the original.
Trailer Available on Netflix
HUNGRY FOR CHANGE – (2012) Exposes all the secrets that the diet and food industry don’t want you to know.
THE TRUTH ABOUT VACCINES – (2017) This is a big one. It’s a 7 part series on a pretty controversial topic. I’m a huge fan of being informed on all topics that affect my family’s health and wellness. Sadly you cannot always get the whole truth from your doctor especially if you don’t know what questions to ask them. Do your research, ask questions, & make educated decisions. I found this extremely informative and exposed me to so much that I wish I had known a long time ago.
BOOKS ABOUT FOOD
- 100 Days of Real Food: Fast & Fabulous: The Easy and Delicious Way to Cut Out Processed Food Read my full review HERE
- 100 Days of Real Food: How We Did It, What We Learned, and 100 Easy, Wholesome Recipes Your Family Will Love
- Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
- Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual
- Eating Pure in a Processed Foods World – This is a two for one! It’s a cookbook and a gardening book. Categorized by fruit/veggie. Learn how to grow, cook, and preserve all your own produce.
- The Vegetable Gardener’s Container Bible: How to Grow a Bounty of Food in Pots, Tubs, and Other Containers
- The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own – The first book I’ve read about becoming a minimalist. This author also has an amazing blog that you can find here: becomingminimalist.com